Scalable Urban Farming Architecture (SUFA)
- Dr. Ryan Fraser Kirwan (PI)
- Dr. Muhamad Fauzi Bin Abbas (Co-PI)
- Industry Partner(s): Archisen Pte Ltd
Project Start & End Date
Channel of Collaboration and/or Funding
- SIT Ignition Grant
- Integrative Team Project (ITP)
Problem to Solve
- Urban farming is a growing industry with particular relevance to Singapore.
- This project aims to form a collaboration with a prominent company in the urban farming domain, Archisen, to improve the efficiency and scalability of current farming practices.
- Although Urban farming is more space-efficient than its more traditional counterpart there is still a significant amount of human involvement.
Solution and Notable Contribution
- Our approach is to leverage on IoT, Computer vision and Machine Learning for an automated alternative which enhances efficiency and scalability, ultimately producing a Scalable Urban Farming Architecture (SUFA).
- The project will commence with three parallel tracks:
- The development of an augmented growbox for smart monitoring of seed germination and crop growth. This will include the development of an environment control system comprising climate, lighting, nutrient, and plant spacing control.
- The production of a webapp dashboard for dynamic monitoring of arrays of growboxes. This webapp will be customized to the specification for Archisen staff.
- Development of an AI-ML model which uses image process to categorise the relevant stages of the urban crop cycle. In the latter stages of the project, the integrated system will be deployed at Archisen for alpha testing, before the final release of the system.